zaterdag 13 oktober 2012

The Elvis Presley movies



Elvis made movies featuring lots of songs. These songs in general differ from the version released on RCA-Victor Records. The film-company added bits and pieces of music or a full orchestra and sometimes used a different recording of the song!

The movies are listed as released. Songs and/or scenes may be cut from prints in specific countries or for
TV showing, video & DVD release.
All movies are in color except Love me tender, Jailhouse rock & King Creole which are in black and white.

The pied piper of Cleveland: A day in the life of a famous disc jockey.
original title Top jock
October 20, 1955 afternoon and evening shows in Cleveland, Ohio supposed to be filmed featuring
That's all right - Blue moon of Kentucky - Good rockin' tonight - Mystery train - I forgot to remember to forget
Existence of this material is very doubtful!

Love me tender  (20th Century Fox)
89 minutes November 15, 1956
Original title(s) The Reno Brothers
Filmed August 23, 1956 - October 8, 1956
We're gonna move - Love me tender - Let me - Poor boy - Love me tender (film finale)
+ Beautiful dreamer & When Johnny comes marching home
Colorized version released on VCD

Loving you  (Paramount)
101 minutes July 9, 1957
Original title(s) The lonesome cowboy, Something for the girls & Running wild
Filmed January 21, 1957 - March 8, 1957
Loving you (opening) - (“Go, Deke, go”) Got a lot o' livin' to do - Party (“I feel it in my leg”)  - Party (“Some people like to rock”) - Medley (Let me be your) Teddy bear & Got a lot o' livin' to do & Hot dog - Lonesome cowboy - Hot dog - Mean woman blues - (Let me be your) Teddy bear - Loving you - Loving you - Got a lot o' livin' to do
+ Dolores Hart: Dancing on a dare, Detour & The yellow rose
+ Tex Warner's Rough Ridin' Ramblers: Candy kisses

Jailhouse rock  (MGM)
96 minutes October 17, 1957
Original title(s)
Filmed May 13, 1957 - June 14, 1957
Young and beautiful (in cell) - I want to be free - Young and beautiful (Club La Florita) - Don't leave me now - Don't leave me now - Treat me nice - Jailhouse rock - (You're so square) Baby I don't care - Young and beautiful
+ Mickey Shaughnessy: One more day
Colorized version released on VHS and VCD

King Creole  (Paramount)
116 minutes July 2, 1958
Original title(s) A stone for Danny Fisher, Sing you sinners & Danny
Filmed January 20, 1958 - March 10, 1958
Crawfish (with Kitty White) - Steadfast, loyal and true - Lover doll - Trouble - Dixieland rock - Young dreams - New Orleans - Hard headed woman - King Creole - Don't ask me why - As long as I have you
+ Street Vendors: Turtles, Berries and Gumbo
+ Liliane Montevecchi: Banana

G.I. blues  (Paramount)
104 minutes August 18, 1960
Original title(s) Cafe Europa
Filmed May 2, 1960 - June 21, 1960
What's she really like - G.I. blues - Doin' the best I can - Blue suede shoes - Frankfort special - Shoppin' around - Tonight is so right for love - Wooden heart - Pocketful of rainbows - Big boots - Didja' ever

Flaming star  (20th Century Fox)
101 minutes December 20, 1960
Original title(s) The brothers of the broken lance, The brothers of flaming arrow, Flaming lance, Flaming heart, Black star & Black heart
Filmed August 16, 1960 - October 4, 1960
Flaming star - A cane and a high starched collar

Wild in the country  (20th Century Fox)
114 minutes June 15, 1961
Original title(s) The lost country & Lonely man
Filmed November 11, 1960 - January 18, 1961
Wild in the country - I slipped, I stumbled, I fell - In my way - Husky dusky day (with Hope Lange)

Blue Hawaii  (Paramount)
101 minutes November 22, 1961
Original title(s) Hawaii beach boy
Filmed March 17, 1961 - April 1961
Blue Hawaii - Almost always true - Aloha-oe - No more - Can't help falling in love - Rock-a-hula baby - Moonlight swim - Ku-u-i-po - Ito eats - Slicin' sand - Hawaiian sunset - Beach boy blues - Island of love (Kauai) - Hawaiian wedding song

Follow that dream  (Mirish Company)
110 minutes April 11, 1962
Original title(s) Pioneer go home, It's a beautiful life, Here come the Kwimpers & What a wonderful life
Filmed July 11, 1961 - August 28, 1961
What a wonderful life - I'm not the marrying kind - Sound advice - On top of Old Smokey - Follow that dream - Angel

Kid Galahad  (Mirish Company)
95 minutes August 29, 1962
Original title(s)
Filmed November 1961 - December 21, 1961
King of the whole wide world - This is living - Riding the rainbow - Home is where the heart is - I got lucky - A whistling tune

Girls! Girls! Girls!  (Paramount)
106 minutes November 21, 1962
Original title(s) A girl in every port, Welcome aboard & Gumbo ya-ya
Filmed April 9, 1962 - May 1962
Girls! Girls! Girls! - I don't wanna be tied - We'll be together - A boy like me, a girl like you - Earth boy (with Ginny & Elizabeth Tiu) - Return to sender - Because of love - Thanks to the rolling sea - Song of the shrimp - The walls have ears - We're comin' in loaded - Dainty little moonbeams - Girls! Girls! Girls! (film finale)
+ Stella Stevens: Never let me go, The nearness of you & Baby, baby, baby
+ The Amigos: Mama

It happened at the world's fair (MGM)
105 minutes April 3, 1963
Original title(s) Mister will you marry me, Take me out to the fair & Take me to the fair
Filmed August 27, 1962 - September 1962
Beyond the bend - Relax - Take me to the fair - They remind me too much of you - One broken heart for sale - I'm falling in love tonight - Cotton candy land - A world of our own - How would you like to be (with Vicky Tiu) - Happy ending (with Joan O'Brien)

Fun in Acapulco  (Paramount)
97 minutes November 27, 1963
Original title(s) Vacation in Acapulco
Filmed January 28, 1963 - March 1963
Fun in Acapulco - Vino, dinero y amor - I think I'm gonna like it here - Mexico (with Larry Domasin) - El toro - Marguerita - The bullfighter was a lady - (There's) No room to thumba in a sports car - Bossa nova baby - You can't say no in Acapulco - Guadalajara

Kissin' cousins  (MGM)
96 minutes March 6, 1964
Original title(s)
Filmed October 1963 - November 1963
Kissin' cousins - Smokey mountain boy - There’s gold in the mountains - One boy, two little girls - Catchin' on fast - Tender feeling - Barefoot ballad - Once is enough - Kissin' cousins
+ Glenda Farrell: Pappy won't you please come home



Viva Las Vegas  (MGM)
86 minutes April 20, 1964
Original title(s) Only girl in town
Filmed July 15, 1963 - September 16, 1963
Viva Las Vegas - The yellow rose of Texas & The eyes of Texas - The lady loves me (with Ann-Margret) - C'mon everybody - Today, tomorrow and forever - What'd I say - Santa Lucia - If you think I don't need you - Viva Las Vegas - I need somebody to lean on - Viva Las Vegas (film finale)
+ Ann-Margret: My rival & Appreciation
+ The Forte Four: The climb

Roustabout  (Paramount)
101 minutes November 11, 1964
Original title(s) Right this way folks
Filmed March 9, 1964 - April 20, 1964
Roustabout - Poison Ivy League - Wheels on my heels - It's a wonderful world - It's carnival time - Carny town - One track heart - It’s carnival time - Hard knocks - Little Egypt - Big love, big heartache - There's a brand new day on the horizon

Girl happy  (MGM)
96 minutes April 14, 1965
Original title(s)
Filmed June 22, 1964 - July 31, 1964
Girl happy - Spring fever (with Shelley Fabares) - Fort Lauderdale, Chamber of Commerce - Startin' tonight - Wolf call - Do not disturb - Cross my heart and hope to die - The meanest girl in town - Do the clam - Puppet on a string - Puppet on a string - I've got to find my baby - Girl happy (film finale)
+ Shelley Fabares: Read all about it
+ Nita Talbot: Read all about it

Tickle me  (Allied Artists)
90 minutes May 28, 1965
Original title(s) Rodeo
Filmed October 12, 1964 - October 1964
(It's a) Long lonely highway - It feels so right - (Such an) Easy question - Dirty, dirty feeling - Put the blame on me - I'm yours - Night rider - I feel that I've known you forever - I feel that I’ve known you forever - Slowly but surely

Harum scarum  (MGM)
95 minutes November 24, 1965
Original title(s) In my harem, Harem holiday & Harem scarum
Filmed March 15, 1965 - April 2, 1965
Harem holiday - My desert serenade - Go east, young man - Mirage - Kismet - Shake that tambourine - Hey, little girl - Golden coins - So close, yet so far (from paradise) - Harem holiday (film finale)

Frankie and Johnny  (United Artists)
87 minutes March 31, 1966
Original title(s)
Filmed May 25, 1965 - June 1965
Come along - Petunia, the gardener's daughter (with Donna Douglas) - Chesay - What every woman lives for - Frankie and Johnny - Look out, Broadway - Beginner's luck - Down by the riverside & When the saints go marching in - Shout it out - Hard luck - Please don't stop loving me - Frankie and Johnny - Everybody come aboard

Paradise, Hawaiian style  (Paramount)
91 minutes July 6, 1966
Original title(s) Polynesian paradise, Polynesian holiday & Hawaiian paradise
Filmed August 7, 1965 - September 1965
Paradise, Hawaiian style - Queenie Wahine's papaya (with Donna Butterworth) - Scratch my back (then I'll scratch yours) (with Marianna Hill) - Drums of the islands - A dog's life - Datin' (with Donna Butterworth) - A house of sand - Stop where you are - This is my heaven & Drums of the islands (film finale)

Spinout  (MGM)
90 minutes September 13, 1966
Original title(s) Jim Dandy, After midnight, Always at midnight, Never say no & Never say yes
Filmed February 21, 1966 - April 6, 1966
Spinout - Stop, look and listen - Adam and evil - All that I am - Never say yes - Am I ready - Beach shack - Spinout - Smorgasbord - I'll be back

Easy come, easy go  (Paramount)
95 minutes March 22, 1967
Original title(s) Port of call, A girl in every port, Nice and easy & Easy does it
Filmed September 12, 1966 - October 1966
Easy come, easy go - The love machine - Yoga is as yoga does (with Elsa Lanchester) - You gotta stop - Sing, you children - I'll take love

Double trouble  (MGM)
90 minutes April 5, 1967
Original title(s) You're killing me
Filmed July 11, 1966 - September 1966
Double trouble - Baby, if you'll give me all of your love - City by night - There is so much world to see - Could I fall in love - Long legged girl (with the short dress on) - Old MacDonald - I love only one girl

Clambake  (United Artists)
97 minutes November 22, 1967
Original title(s) Too big for Texas
Filmed March 10, 1967 - April 27, 1967
Clambake - Who needs money (with Ray Walker) - A house that has everything - Confidence - Clambake - You don't know me - Hey, hey, hey - The girl I never loved - Clambake (film finale)

Stay away, Joe  (MGM)
102 minutes March 8, 1968
Original title(s) Born rich & Bumblebee, oh bumblebee
Filmed October 18, 1967 - November 10, 1967
Stay away - Stay away, Joe - Lovely Mamie - Dominic - All I needed was the rain

Speedway  (MGM)
94 minutes June 12, 1968
Original title(s) Guitar City, So I'll go quietly & Pot luck
Filmed June 26, 1967 - August 18, 1967
Speedway - Let yourself go - Your time hasn't come yet, baby - He's your uncle, not your dad (with Ray Walker) - Who are you? (Who am I?) - There ain't nothing like a song (with Nancy Sinatra)
+ Nancy Sinatra: Your groovy self

Live a little, love a little  (MGM)
90 minutes October 23, 1968
Original title(s) Kiss my firm but pliant lips
Filmed March 11, 1968 - May 17, 1968
Wonderful world - Edge of reality - A little less conversation - Almost in love

Charro!  (National General)
98 minutes March 13, 1969
Original title(s) Come hell, come sundown
Filmed July 22, 1968 - September 5, 1968
Charro

The trouble with girls (and how to get into it) (MGM) 
97 minutes September 3, 1969
Original title(s) Chautauqua
Filmed October 28, 1968 - December 18, 1968
Swing low, sweet Chariot - The whiffenpoof song - Violet (flower of N.Y.U.) - Clean up your own backyard - Sign of the zodiac (with Marlyn Mason) - Almost
+ Pacific Palisades High School Madrigals & Orchestra: America the beautiful - Boola Boola - Greensleeves - When you wore a tulip and I wore a big red rose - On Wisconsin - The darktown strutters' ball - My old Kentucky home - Mad'moiselle from Armentières - Rocked in the craddle of the deep - Blow the man down - The eyes of Texas - Camptown races - Toot toot Tootsie - She's nobody's baby now - Frère Jacques

Change of habit  (Universal)
93 minutes November 10, 1969
Original title(s)
Filmed March 10, 1969 - May 2, 1969
Change of habit - Rubberneckin' - Have a happy - Let us pray
+ Elvis on piano: Lawdy, miss Clawdy

This is the last of Elvis’scripted movies!

Elvis - That's the way it is  (MGM)
97 minutes November 11, 1970
Original title(s) Elvis
Filmed July 1970 - September 9, 1970
Mystery train & Tiger man - segments of rehearsals at MGM: Words - The next step is love - Polk salad Annie - Crying time - That's all right - Little sister - What'd I say - Stranger in the crowd - How the web was woven - I just can't help believin' - You don't have to say you love me - segments of rehearsal with vocal groups: You don't have to say you love me - Bridge over troubled water - Words - segments of rehearsal at  International Hotel, Las Vegas: You've lost that lovin' feelin' - Mary in the morning - Polk salad Annie - live at International Hotel, Las Vegas: That's all right - I've lost you - Patch it up - Love me tender - You've lost that lovin' feelin' - Sweet Caroline - I just can't help believin' - Little sister & Get back - Bridge over troubled water - Heartbreak hotel - One night - Blue suede shoes - All shook up - Polk salad Annie - Suspicious minds - Can't help falling in love

Elvis on tour  (MGM)
93 minutes November 1, 1972
Original title(s) Standing room only & Elvis on tour in the U.S.A.
Filmed March 1972 - April 1972
Johnny B. Goode - See see rider - Polk salad Annie - Separate ways - Proud Mary - Never been to Spain - Burning love - Don't be cruel* - Ready teddy* - That's all right** - Lead me, guide me - Bosom of Abraham - Love me tender - Until it's time for you to go - Suspicious minds - I, John - Rainy night in Georgia - For the good times - Bridge over troubled water - Funny how time slips away - An American trilogy - Mystery train** - I got a woman & Amen - A big hunk o' love - You gave me a mountain - Lawdy, miss Clawdy - Can't help falling in love - Memories***
+ The Stamps: And I'm never gonna see my
wonderland, Sweet, sweet spirit & Lighthouse
  * Ed Sullivan show 1956 / 1957
   ** Sun record
*** RCA record

The following movie was made about Elvis’ career using old film & TV footage, home movies and old recordings

This is Elvis  (Warner Brothers)
101 minutes April 3, 1981
144 minutes videotape version with extra footage
(Marie’s the name) His latest flame - Moody blue - That’s all right - Shake, rattle and roll & Flip, Flop and Fly - Heartbreak hotel - I was the one - Hound dog - Hound dog - Love me tender - Merry Christmas baby - Mean woman blues - Trouble - Ready teddy - Don’t be cruel (to a heart that’s true) - (Let me be your) Teddy bear - King Creole - As long as I have you - Jailhouse rock - G.I. blues - Frankfort special - It’s nice to go travelling - Stuck on you - Love me tender (Frank Sinatra) & Witchcraft - Blue Hawaii - Rock-a-hula baby - Too much monkey business - King of the whole wide world - I’ve got a thing about you baby - I need your love tonight - Hound dog - Blue suede shoes - Trouble & Guitar man - Let yourself go - If I can dream - Suspicious minds - Can’t help falling in love - Promised land - A big hunk o’ love - Can’t help falling in love - A rainy night in Georgia - It’s over - Always on my mind - Are you lonesome to-night? - My way - An American trilogy - Memories
+ Church crowd: I’ll fly away
+ Furry Lewis: Furry Lewis blues
+ Billy Ward & The Dominoes: Sixty-minute man
+ Jackie Brenston: Rocket 88
+ David Scott: Mystery train, That’s when yourheartaches begin & That’s all right
+ Beatles: I want to hold your hand
+ Carl Douglas : Kung-fu fighting

The lost performances
MGM/Turner Home Video M202759
62 minutes July 1, 1992
Filmed July 1970 - April 1972
August 1970 live: Men with broken hearts (poem) - Walk a mile in my shoes - The wonder of you - Don’t cry daddy - In the ghetto - There goes my everything - Make the world go away - Just pretend - Heartbreak hotel - Twenty days and twenty nights - Love me - Hound dog - Don’t be cruel (to a heart that’s true) - July 1970 rehearsal: I washed my hands in muddy water - I was the one - I was the one - Cattle call - Baby, let’s play house - Don’t - Money honey - April 1972 live: All shook up - (Let me be your) Teddy bear & Don’t be cruel (to a heart that’s true) - Are you lonesome to-night? - I can’t stop loving you - How great Thou art - Release me (and let me love again) - July 1970 rehearsal: I can’t stop loving you

Jailhouse rock
MGM VHS
96 minutes July 1, 1992
The 1957 movie in a colorised version

Elvis on tour
Warner Malaysia Video CD 206395
93 minutes July 2000
Same as the 1972 movie but single screen!

Love me tender
DeltaMac Hong Kong Video CD 11135
89 minutes July 2000
The 1956 movie in a colorised version

That’s the way it is - special edition
MGM/Warner DVD 65058
95 minutes April 14, 2001
Filmed July 1970 - September 9, 1970
Mystery train & Tiger man - segments of rehearsals at MGM: That's all right - Little sister  - Get back - Words - My baby left me - Crying time - Love me - Twenty days and twenty nights  - rehearsal at  International Hotel, Las Vegas:  Bridge over troubled water - Cattle call - Santa Claus is back in town - Words - Mary in the morning - live at International Hotel, Las Vegas: That's all right - I got a woman - Hound dog - Heartbreak hotel - Love me tender - I can’t stop loving you - Just pretend - The wonder of you - In the ghetto - Patch it up - You've lost that lovin' feelin' - Polk salad Annie - One night - Don’t be cruel (to a heart that’s true) - Blue suede shoes - All shook up - You don’t have to say you love me - Suspicious minds - Can't help falling in love

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten